Friday, March 30, 2012

A Needy Servant and an Empty Tomb

“I’m weary Lord. I’m desperate for your presence, for your peace, for your insight and your power!” Those were my words to my Lord this morning as I groggily sipped a cup of stronger-than-usual coffee. Between writing deadlines, blog posts and social media exchanges, my creativity has been waning. The daily stress of getting my husband’s new business up and running has taken the edge off just about anything else I’ve been working on. My daughter’s senior activities (and keeping track of them all!) would challenge even the most organized of mothers (which I am not). It’s been an exhausting spring. There have been times I’ve secretly wanted to take a hammer to my phone that is smart enough to dominate my time with emails, Facebook & Twitter notifications, text messages, and those silly apps designed to make my life easier.  I waved the white flag this morning. I’m weary and I need Jesus.

Well, as I was preparing to write this post (yes, another to-do on my lengthy task list), I was reminded that Easter is all about our need for Jesus; the empty tomb is a reminder of His availability. Jesus is alive! He is actively available to comfort us with His manifest presence, to calm us with His reassuring peace, to encourage us with spiritual insights, and to clothe us with His dynamic power. In fact, that’s exactly what He did in the days following His resurrection.

He Comforted Mary with His Presence
The disciples went back to their homes, but Mary, desperate to find her Lord, stood outside the tomb crying, asking anyone she could find what had been done with the body of her beloved Jesus.  In her moment of desperation, the risen Jesus appeared.  When she recognized him, Mary clung to Jesus’ comforting presence. He is alive! He is available to comfort us every day with His manifest presence. We simply need to seek Him. (John 20:10-17)

He Calmed His Disciples with His Peace
A day or two later, Jesus’ disciples were fearful of the Jews and locked themselves into one of their homes.  The events of Jesus’ crucifixion left them feeling vulnerable and frightened. They lacked peace. But the risen Messiah suddenly appeared and stood among them. He said, “Peace be with you!” (John 20:21). To doubting Thomas he said, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe” (John 20:27). Jesus understands our fears and our doubts. He knows the situations that concern us. He conquered death and the grave. He is alive! Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid”(John 14:27). We don’t need to be afraid. We simply need to trust Him.

He Encouraged His Disciples with Insight
Later, Jesus said, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds... He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” Then He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures (Luke 24:37,44-45).
Jesus encouraged His disciples by giving them insight into His Word. He is alive! He inspires us, speaks to us, and encourages us through His holy, living and active Word (Hebrews 4:12). We simply need to read it.

He Clothed His Disciples with Power

Then Jesus told His disciples:

You are witnesses . . . I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high”(Luke 24:48-49).

At Pentecost, Jesus disciples were clothed with the power of the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus said. And those of us who celebrate Easter as resurrection day –who believe Jesus is the Son of God who came to earth, died on a cross, and rose again on the third day—are also clothed in God’s dynamic power through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. He is alive! He is active and involved. He empowers us to be His witnesses: But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8). We have His power. We simply need to tap into it.
So as you dress up in your Sunday best this Easter, celebrate the empty tomb. It is a reminder that our Jesus is actively available to comfort, to calm, to encourage, and to empower. The tomb couldn’t contain Him. Our Savior lives! Because of Him we are forgiven, we have continual access to our Lord, and we can live forever with Him one day in Heaven. He is alive! We simply need to believe.
              

4 comments:

  1. Amen ... thank you for this reminder, Mindy. I ran across your blog today as I looked for clipart for our church bulletin tomorrow. I don't know you, but just thought you should know that I am praying for you right now, and am thanking God for the encouragement He helped you to share!
    ~ A Sister in Christ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Sister in Christ,
      Thank you so much for your sweet note. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your prayers. I am returning the blessing and praying for you just now as well. May God continue to use you mightily (in service and in prayer) for His glory.
      Love,
      Mindy

      Delete
  2. Hurray - Death is swallowed up in life - our greatest need - fully provided for at Christ's expense. Let us live in His life through the power of the Spirit of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Depending on the power of His Spirit daily.

      Delete